The Shaftsbury Transfer Station is accepting food scraps!
Stop by our new compost collection carts! It’s Free!
• Meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, bones
• Eggs and eggshells, cheese, dairy products
• Bread, baked goods, pasta, rice, beans, nuts, seeds
• Coffee grounds, filters, tea bags
• Vegetables and fruit
• Table scraps, plate scrapings, leftovers, spoiled food
What Not to Compost:
• Plastics such as wrappers, bags, straws, packaging
• Paper napkins, towels, or wrappers
• Fruit and vegetable PLU stickers
• Commercial flowers, lawn clippings, or plant debris from roadways
• Dog & cat manures, kitty litter
Lower your trash costs by separating your food scraps for composting! In Vermont, food and other organic materials from residents make up 18% of the trash. Reducing food waste and composting helps families save money, while benefiting communities, and the environment.
Transfer station food scrap collection is only available for Shaftsbury residents. Brought to you by the Town of Shaftsbury, Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance, Northeast Recycling Council, and TAM Organics in Shaftsbury.