Vermont is part of a growing list of states working with trade sponsored product stewardship initiatives to divert architectural paint from being deposited in landfills. Paint manufacturers are required to host a program for post consumer paint collection from residents and small businesses through retail locations and household hazardous waste collection sites and events.
PaintCare, Inc., a non-profit 501(c)3 organization represents the paint manufacturers to plan and operate the paint stewardship program in Vermont and other participating states. The program is funded by the manufacturers, generally through fees charged on the sale of paint sold.
- Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (including textured coatings)
- Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Primers, sealers, undercoaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
- Metal coatings, rust preventatives
- Field and lawn paints
Dried latex architectural paint in cans should be disposed in the trash. Dried oil based paint is still considered hazardous waste.
- Paint thinners, mineral spirits, solvents
- Aerosol paints (spray cans)
- Auto and marine paints
- Art and craft paints
- Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues, adhesives
- Paint additives, colorants, tints, resins
- Wood preservatives (containing pesticides)
- Roof patch and repair
- Asphalt, tar and bitumen-based products
- 2-component coatings
- Deck cleaners
- Traffic and road marking paints
- Industrial Maintenance (IM) coatings
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (shop application) paints and finishes
These items may be dropped off at household hazardous waste events.
Have questions about paint disposal through PaintCare.org?
Drop off up to 5 gallons per day in original quart-sized to 5 gallon-sized containers with original labeling and still in liquid form.
Miles True Value
178 Chittenden Dr.
1131 Depot St.
691 Depot St.
215 Northside Dr., Ste. 8
263 Depot St.
W.W. Building Supply
434 VT Route 100